Marquis Franz von Bayros was born in Zagreb in 1866, as the son of a Spanish nobleman
One of his erotic portfolios, 'Erzahlungen vom Toilettentisch' ('Tales from the Dressing Table'), caused a courtcase and made Von Bayros famous.
In 1911, the Munich police persecuted him because of his illustrations and forced him into exile from Germany. He was obliged to move from one European capital to another as each outrageous new work was banned by the authorities
Franz von Bayros created a number of bookplates or Ex Libris as private commissions, but his best-known Ex Libris plates are those collected in a portfolio entitled Ex Libris die sie nicht tauschten (Bookplates They Never Received).
Franz von Bayros died in Vienna on 3 April 1924.
When I started creating this page I had 160 artworks without reference to the books they were illustrated for. Since these images are very rare and complete I try to keep them untill I have found enough art (and confirmation) to create albums from the books. So this page is under an ongoing construction. Whenever I have found a complete album from a book I will upload it, and meanwhile I keep trying to connected these artworks to the right book (if possible).
Books illustrated by von Bayros:
- Die Geschichte der Manon Lescaut und des Chevalier Desgrieux (1905)
- Fleurettens Purpurschnecke. Erotische Lieder und Gedichte aus dem 18. Jahrhundert (1905)
- Ex Libris die sie nicht tauschten, using the pseudonym Venu de Bonestoc (1906)
- Die Memoiren der Fanny Hill (1906)
- Die geschwatzigen Kleinodien (1906)
- Das Buch der Tausend Nächte und der einen Nacht (1906)
- Die Boheme (1906)
- Die hundert neuen Novellen (1907)
- Geschichten aus Aretino (1907)
- Die Genouilliere, private publication with 15 artworks (1907)
- Die Bonbonniere. Galante und artige Sammlung erotischer Phantasien (1907)
- Die hubsche Andalusierin (1907)
- Erzahlungen am Toilettentische (1907)
- Das Marchen aller Marchen oder Das Pentameron (1909)
- Das schone Madchen Pao (1910)
- Das Decamerone (1910)
- Die Geschichte der Zairette (1911)
- Das Fuchen und der gnad Frau (1912)
- Bilder aus dem Boudoir der Madame CC, private publication with 30 artworks (1912)
- Die Göttliche Komödie (1912)
- 1001 Nacht (1913)
- Von Konigen und Jakobinern (1913)
- Lesbischer Reigen, private publication with 6 artworks (1920)
- Garten der Aphrodite (unknown)
- Die Töchter des chinesischen Scharfrichters (unknown)
16 albums/203 artworks